Friday, January 6, 2012

Katy and the Big Snow - Day 5

Today was our last day of Katy and the Big Snow. I can't believe we made it through a whole week. We had a little too much fun.

Today we learned about personification. Katy is a tractor, but has human characteristics and comments. First we looked a little closer at Katy and the words the author uses to describe her. Then I had the girls pick something that was not an animal in the house. We have lots of stuffed animals and I knew those would come out first thing! They ended up picking purses. First I had them draw the purses.

Miss 2 shocked me with her drawing of the pink purse!
Then we added human qualities: eyes, mouth, hair, legs, arms, etc.
Miss 4's turned into how I imagined the "Purple People Eater" in that old song...



To finish the short day we "personified" our snack. Definitely, more creative ways to go on this, but what we did works too :o)


Thanks for following along! I hope you got some ideas for "Katy and the Big Snow" when you do your Five in a Row.

4 comments:

  1. Miss 2's drawing really is impressive, and so was Miss 1's Purple People Eater. This makes we want to think more in themes. My kids have loved it when we've done it before just a theme for a day, usually originating from a book we read and extended into our various activities. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about Five in a Row. It's based on the literature. We focus on an element or theme from the story whether it's art, social studies, language arts, math, etc. each day. So much can be learned. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! We are hoping to row this book soon, since I didn't get a chance to get to it this past fall.

    Thank you for joining the FIAR Blogroll. I hope it helps to find other blogs using Five in a Row. I also have a new link-up area and you can link this post :)

    The link up is here: http://allofakindfamily.blogspot.com/2012/01/fiar-individual-post-link-up.html

    Many Blessings, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for a way to be able to see the posts at allofakindfamily.blogpost.com
    Tamara has such wonderful ideas, but at some point made her blog by invitation only. Does anyone know how to reach her?

    ReplyDelete