Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Katy and the Big Snow - Day 3

Oh how I love math! Luckily Miss 4 does too - she and I are a lot alike. (I guess the oldest can be like that). So today was a MATH day and I definitely need more practice at taking pictures!

"Katy" has 55 horsepower so we got out 55 objects and grouped them by 5s. Quick lesson on counting by 5s - it's a little advanced for Miss 4 though. I loved how she decided to stack them. It was great for Miss 2 to practice her fine motor skills in stacking too.



Addition came to mind when I read about how much snow was falling, so we completed a worksheet from Kumon's book of Simple Addition using our chips.



From the book "By noon [the snow] was 4 inches deep... By afternoon it was 10 inches deep." Measurement!!! Yea! Throw in a few time exercises too.



Before it "stops snowing" in the book, the snow comes in feet up to 5. Looking back, we should have built up, but measuring 5 feet and putting them together was okay too. We did use a measuring tape to see how tall 5 feet was. Yarn was the only thing I could think to measure; my creative juices aren't quite flowing yet. :o)


To finish the day we got out the iPad. It's a addition or subtraction game where you have to add the numbers to make the number on the fish. It will only eat the correctly added/subtracted numbers. Motion Math: Hungry Fish Oh, and it's FREE! Love.


Then for an unhealthy snack, we had 55 mini marshmallows. They were gone before I could get a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment