Saturday, January 21, 2012

Finishing up- Owl Moon

To finish our row of Owl Moon, we went for a hike. We found:
a lot of gopher holes and mounds,
fun places animals could live,
tall beautiful Oregon trees,
treasures for our buckets,
tree fungus,
what I thought was a seed, was actually a gall,
animal homes and holes, plus awesome sticks,
huge leaves,
moss,
beautiful winter scene,
and tracks.

We also listened for birds and other animal noises. We haven't been hiking there in almost 2 years. I was thinking about how much I've wanted to go back these 2 years and it took me deciding to homeschool, picking Five in a Row (FIAR), and reading Owl Moon to finally go back. Wow. I'm realizing homeschool, even the small stuff we do, gives us purpose to our day. I love it.

The day we focused on language arts was a little discouraging. My children are so young and it's difficult to teach about metaphors, similes, and even adjectives. I tried and pointed out a few examples in the book - boy, was that boring for them... That is the reason I'm going to continue FIAR for many years. Each year we row a story it will be a new experience and a new lesson.
A suggestion from the manual was to have the child write or dictate a story using metaphors or similes, I changed it to videoing a story of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment